Thursday, May 22, 2008

Soulja Boy on Mississippi ties

17-year-old rapper Soulja Boy (real name: DeAndre Way) has been nominated for a Grammy, hit with a number 1 single, and got his start on youtube. He recently spoke to the Clarion Ledger about his Mississippi ties:

Q: I understand you went to high school in Batesville. What can you tell me about your Mississippi ties?

A: Well, man, I was in middle school in Atlanta, Ga., right? I had got in a little trouble or whatever down there, so my mama, she let me move in with my daddy in Mississippi. When I got to Mississippi, I went to Batesville, and I went to South Panola High School my ninth-grade and 10th-grade years. After my 10th-grade year that summer I had got signed to Interscope Records and started traveling the world.

Q: So are you a South Panola football fan, then?

A: I played football for South Panola when I went to school there.

Q: You did? What position did you play?

A: I played wide receiver.

Q: Did you have some wheels?

A: Well, you know, that's why I'm rapping now, man (laughs).

Q: You're coming to perform at this big concert in Jackson and you're in Tupelo now - so how does Mississippi fit into your success?

A: Basically, this is where I got picked up at. I was living in Atlanta, Ga., but I couldn't get no record deal for nothing, you feel me? Then I moved to Mississippi, and there was nothing popping, there wasn't no clubs or nothing really popping, and that's where I got my record deal at. If I hadn't ever came to Mississippi, I probably wouldn't have ever got my deal.

Q: So Mississippi will always have a little spot in your heart?

A: Exactly. It's where my family's at.


You can read the whole interview here: Soulja Boy: 'Crank Dat' just a start

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, i stay in jackson ms, been rapping for 4 years, i even met him before he got famous, but since he got famous aint nobody heard from him, he aint tried to help nobody.. its all good though

Anonymous said...

hes a racist like all blacks in ms.

Anonymous said...

aint every black in ms racist get dat right

Anonymous said...

Cock

Anonymous said...

RASHAAD HOPKINS IS THE PLUG AN LEADER OF THE ZOE MAFIA FAMILY HAITIAN GANG IN CRYSTAL RIVER HE HAS A COVER JOB AT RYAN LAMPROSI STATE FARM HE NEEDS TO BE TOOK DOWN HE MOVES MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF MARIJUANA XANAX PROMETHIZINE AN COCAINE ALL THE LOWER GANG MEMBER LIKE JAMEL HOPKINS JAKOBE LOCKLEY VINCENT ARMSTRONG JAVARIS LUALLEN CAM JONES "TYCO" HOPKINS BRIAN POE TIM JENKINS ALL MOVE HIS DRUGS FOR HIM IN CRYSTAL RIVER FLORIDA CITRUS COUNTY

Unknown said...

Fuck you white cock sucker

White american said...

Why don't you take your happy nigger ass back to Africa or stop being an asshole

Unknown said...

We ain't from Africa bitch how bout u go n fuck your MoMA u pink wet stray dog smelling bitch ass crackers

Unknown said...

Y'all,clowning
Hateful ass,people,

P said...

Everyone needs to chill on their racist B/S. Foolish, shameful, CHURLISH